Tuesday, June 18, 2024

HEIRESS

 .

.

.

HEIRESS

.

.


I am incredibly wealthy


I can't take any credit for this vast horde of wealth


I inherited all this 


I would like to thank my benefactors


But I don't know who they are


So, I will thank them all


The cave dweller who discovered the use of fire


The genius who figured out the wheel


All the herbalists, alchemists and astrologers


Whose fields expanded into modern medicine and astronomy


To the list of ancestors who have contributed


To my comfort, safety, health, enjoyment -


Thank you all for these treasured advantages


I have ease, cleanliness and spare time undreamed of  


By my hardy ancestors of yore


I feel a solemn responsibility to bequeath


This large and irreplaceable treasure, this Progress


In good standing, I place these things in the hands


Of the next generation, who have a chance to add


And not squander, all this hard-won wealth


The greatest gift, the best chance, the most possibilities


That the new generation will continue to increase in knowledge


Passing that on to future generations


Who might not even be living on Earth


Who might not have all-human bodies


Who might have a lifestyle unimaginable


To me today.

.

.

.


.

.

.


No comments:

Post a Comment