Monday, May 4, 2015

Movie Recommendation of the Day ...

.
.
.
Movie Recommendation of the Day ...


A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night




"The first Iranian Vampire Western, Ana Lily Amirpour's debut feature A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night basks in the sheer pleasure of pulp. A joyful mash-up of genre, archetype and iconography, its prolific influences span spaghetti westerns, graphic novels, horror films, and the Iranian New Wave. Amped by a mix of Iranian rock, techno and Morricone-inspired riffs, its airy, anamorphic, black-and-white aesthetic and artfully drawn-out scenes combine the simmering tension of Sergio Leone with the surrealism of David Lynch."




My comments: Since I'm a fan of quirky movies, and a fan of vampire stories, and a fan of movies shot from a feminist viewpoint, this was obviously a big hit with me. Knowing the fragile looking huge eyed young woman that is "lured" into the den of a loathsome drug dealer and pimp is actually an apex predator was deliciously satisfying. I won't give away any of the details, best to let the story unfold as it plays out, but suffice it to say that it was memorable, interesting, hilarious, haunting and one of the best vampire movies I have seen. The more I think about it, the better I like it.


Slight gore but not over the top. Subtitled.


.
.
.

4 comments:

  1. how funny with timing...I just finished watching Byzantium.
    hope you are well. will add this to my list. thanks
    z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't heard of that movie, I'm going to look it up right now. Thanks for the reference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I just finished watching How I Live Now with Saoirse Ronan, the same actress in Byzantium! I didn't really understand that movie, it was about WW 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have seen many movies with her over the years. she is child actress who does a lot of scifi, fantasy, alternative genre. I have not seen how I live now. last couple saw her in were hanna, and atonement. happy watching.
    z

    oh yeah, happy cinco de mayo

    ReplyDelete