Monday, April 29, 2024

ANATOMY OF PANIC

 .

.

.

ANATOMY OF PANIC


I thought I saw a drop of blood


Where there shouldn't be blood


In a fraction of a second


My entire inner environment changed


Hormones flooded my systems with the jet fuel of panic


My mind ran through every possible diagnosis


Faster and more dire than Google


Breathing, blood pressure, temperature


All sped up as the brakes of common sense failed


In less than a second I had gone from normal


To a life and death, flight or fight situation


Blood!


My shaking icy hand touched the blood


And discovered it was a piece of red skin from a peanut


(I love red skinned peanuts and eat them almost every day)


A peanut skin!  Not blood!


What a relief!


My heart rate slowed, breathing returned to normal


My mind stopped racing around the race track of disaster


A peanut skin, that's all it was


Nothing more, except a few bad moments when I believed


Everything in my existence was in mortal danger.


It was just .... nuts.

.
.
.

.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment