Saturday, November 11, 2023

TRUE DOUBTER

 .

.

.

TRUE DOUBTER

.

.


Things used to be a lot simpler


An expert gave an opinion and I believed it


Because he or she was an expert


But no more!


Now that life has turned me into a stone cold skeptic


I immediately ask "Who is this expert?


What qualifies them for rendering an opinion?"


I look up their credentials


To see if I can credit their credibility


I look up the studies the expert referenced


To see if these are trusted sources


Which are getting farther and farther apart


I look for opinions that disagree with the expert


Researching their credentials and the studies they used


All this is a lot of work, using up my limited time


And enthusiasm


So mostly I just proceed slowly


Evaluating along the way, ready to change direction


If I spot a problem lurking in the bushes


Just like my caveman ancestors who had no experts


To guide them through the wild, no expert except


Finely tuned hypervigilance and a strong survival instinct.

.

.

.


.

.

.


No comments:

Post a Comment