Thursday, May 9, 2024

PLEASANT JOURNEY

 .

.

.

PLEASANT JOURNEY

.

.


I like to order a used book from Goodwill


Besides being economical and supporting a good cause


They are slow shippers


Sometimes taking weeks before the wanted book


Is unwrapped and in my reader's grip


At times like these I think of Thomas Jefferson 


Who ordered books from Europe through a purchasing agent


The books were shipped across the stormy Atlantic


In a ship with billowing sails and a stalwart crew


The books, oh all those enlightening books


In a barrel, packed in straw or excelsior


Daring a voyage over water, one of the enemies of books


Some of these books eventually became the second Library of Congress


After the first library was burned by the British in 1814


I think of Jefferson's joy at receiving a barrel of books  


More fun than a barrel of monkeys 


While I wait for my online purchase to arrive


This means weeks of happy anticipation that my book


Like Mighty Mouse, Is on the way.

.

.

.


.

.

.


No comments:

Post a Comment