Thursday, June 19, 2014

Recipe of the day ...

.
.
.
Kale, Andouille Sausage, Scallop, White Bean, and Piment d'Esplette - in Parchment with my commentary -

 Usually I avoid recipes like this, too fancy, but I think I can modify it to suit my casual cooking style. Note - I haven't made this but here's what I think I would do -

Serves 2

2 sheets 15" squared parchment paper - don't have it, so it's a glass dish for everything
3 tablespoons good quality olive oil, divded
6 ounces Andouille sausage, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces, and coarsely chopped
2 large shallots, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium bunch of Lacinato kale ...
1 dash dry sherry - don't have sherry so I would skip it
1 cup Great White Northern Beans, cooked - hopefully I have some frozen ...
6 jumbo sea scallops - they have to be on sale cause they're too expensive otherwise ..
2 pinches Piment d'Esplette - no idea what this is, I would probably substitute Italian herbs
salt
freshly ground pepper
1 blood orange, peeled, and sectioned from membrane - I don't like blood oranges so a regular orange is going to have to do ...

Heat 1 tablespoon olive olive oil in a nonstick skillet; add sausage and cook over medium high heat, until sausages is lightly browned; remove from heat and transfer sausage to a medium sized bowl to cool

Add 1.5 tablespoon of oil to the same nonstick skillet, over medium high heat; add shallots and stir until lightly browned and soft; add garlic, and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant

Add kale, and toss over heat until beginning to soften, add big dash of dry sherry, and cook until kale reduces by only just 1/3 - 1/2 original size (4-minutes); quickly remove from heat and add to the bowl with Andouille sausage; stir to combine

On 15" parchment square, add half of kale mixture to center; scoop 1/2 white beans on top, add three scallops; drizzle with a good dose of olive oil, then sprinkle with piment d'Esplette, salt and pepper; gather edges up and tie in a bundle with cooking twine - I would just put it in a little oven proof glass dish with a lid.

Bake at 400 for 12 minutes; let sit for 5 minutes; place bundle on plates, untie, and open; serve with a side of blood orange sections. - I think this could be cooked in a pan too ...

.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment